Here Comes The Sun | #3

After a few weeks here in Cardiff, I have learned to always carry two essential items: a quality raincoat and a sturdy umbrella. Precipitation is ever-present; however, this past weekend was a deviation from the norm. Rumblings of high 20’s weather for the weekend (Celsius of course!) permeated throughout the office last Friday, and I knew I had to take advantage.

Saturday two fellow interns and I strolled to Cardiff Bay, where unbeknown to us a celebration was taking place for Queen Elizabeth’s birthday. The Regimental Band and Corps of Drums of The Royal Welsh supplied the music, which concluded with a booming gun salute!

The salute — Happy Birthday Queen Elizabeth!

Sunday was even warmer, and although there are no beaches in Cardiff Bay, a 30 minute train ride separated us from Barry Island. Armed with a football, speaker, and fruit from the train station, a flock of six interns (including myself) soaked up the sun. The sandy area was incredibly wide, offering lots of space for the many beachgoers. However, the most unique aspect of this spot were three shipwrecked boats, which lay exposed opposite the beach. Quite the scene!

Exposed vessels on Barry Island

Our dream weekend ended with the first notable food memory of the trip, which was surprisingly inspired by a different European country. Though our original restaurant pick was closed, we stumbled upon a small pizza restaurant in downtown Cardiff just in time. Even though we weren’t in Italy, the food was delizioso. The perfect end to a rare sun-filled weekend!

The beach squad taking in the views

One thought on “Here Comes The Sun | #3

It’s so cool that you got to see the celebration of Queen Elizabeth’s birthday! Overall, I’m glad you were able to explore a little bit of Wales & that you’re really taking advantage of the adventure.