Week one in Rabat, Morocco

Coming into this adventure I wasn’t quite sure what I was expecting. All I knew was that I was going to be teaching English at a school somewhere in the capital of Morocco: Rabat. I also knew that the food was good and that I was coming at a time when Moroccan Muslims fasted through out the entire day.. also known as Ramadan. When I finally arrived in Rabat, however, I can tell you that me expectations quickly became formulating. I had seen how friendly the Moroccan people had been at the airport and at the hotel and expected the same of my host family. I saw the children in the streets and expected those same types of children to be the ones that I would be giving lessons to for five hours a day, every day of the week. Well, turns out I was right (at least about those two!) my host family is wonderful and the 3-5 year old children that I have the pleasure of teaching their abc’s to (both in french and in english) are just as full of energy and dressed in the same moroccan middle class manner that I had expected. In fact, I would even dare to say that the friendliness of the staff and the willingness the children have to learn and take part in class even exceed my expectations. The only thing that I wasn’t quite expecting (in fact, was avoiding at all costs) was the stomach flu. Yep, you read that right, while I intended to work all week I actually only Just started this Friday due to the virus that kept me week and in pain for most of the week. Fortunately, the people I had met were so caring and driven that, in no time, I had seen a doctor and was given a plethora of medications to take and man, did those work! So, here I am, cured of the stomach flu (or whatever bug was messing with my intestines) and ready to take on a full week of teaching, caring, exploring, exchanging cultures and learning!

cheers,
Helen

One thought on “Week one in Rabat, Morocco

I’m so glad you’re feeling better and that you’re enjoying the friendliness of the people and the kids! How is Rabat during Ramadan?