Party!! | Blog 2

As part of the development community, us D-SIP interns were given the chance to go to the Development Council and Summer Party along with everyone who presently works in development for the University of Michigan. The rest of the D-SIP cohort and I actually had to introduce ourselves to everyone as a part of the program and it was pretty nerve-wracking standing in front of 300 plus people and speaking, but they welcomed us very warmly.

The Development Council was incredibly interesting and insightful. Speakers talked about the successes and achievements of Michigan development through the past fiscal year, and seeing actual numbers really made me appreciate how hard people work to keep the University going. I was once again reminded how truly fortunate I am to have the opportunity to work in such a highly acclaimed program with so many wonderful people.

After the Council was over, we had food and drinks at the Summer Party. It was an awesome opportunity to network and practice building relationships with people in a professional and personal way. The food was absolutely delicious, and it was so much fun socializing with people and really realizing that they’re all people too (although they may seem scary as your boss). I even got the chance to speak to Jerry May, the vice president of development here at the University of Michigan.

This experience was so much fun and a breath of fresh air from the usual work week and reminded me of the level of excellence I am surrounded by here at the University of Michigan. Whether it be taking classes, working at this D-SIP internship, or just meeting fellow students or co-workers, I will remember how lucky I am to be where I am and make the best of it.