Self-Reflection | #4

Over the course of these past few months at Hope Clinic, I have had the privilege of working with a wide variety of people. The clients I have worked with each have their own specific needs, and it’s been a worthwhile challenge to uncover what my plan of action should be to properly advocate for each client. I have assisted clients with insurance applications, so that they can have access to quality medical care. I have also provided resources for clients to obtain healthy foods so that they can improve their health and prevent the onset of chronic diseases.

Working with these individuals has not only improved my ability to advocate for clients, it has also enabled me to recognize my own privilege in a new light. I have never had to worry about whether or not I could afford receiving medical care because I have always been covered by my parents health insurance. I haven’t had to worry about having healthy foods to eat, as I did not grow up in a food desert and my parents were able to afford groceries. I also did not grow up in a dangerous environment and always felt safe walking to and from school and while hanging out at the park with my friends. I was fortunate to be born in this country and not have to navigate through the citizenship process. This internship has forced me to reflect on myself each and every day, which I am so thankful for! It’s easy to get caught up in yourself and your own personal problems while ignoring the difficulties that so many others in the world are facing.

In the field of public health, it’s important to have an intersectional perspective when engaging with the community. I am thankful that my internship with Hope is allowing me to see the world through this lens!