Stepping Stones #4

If you had told me last year that I would be working in a lab this summer, I never would have believed you in a million years. So much has changed in a single year, and I am so grateful for these opportunities.

Back in high school, I remember talking and reading about laboratory techniques such as gel electrophoresis and Western blotting. However, it was all very theoretically and we never got a chance to see an actual demonstration. Now fast forward a year and here I am getting the chance to do all of these things that my high school teachers told me about. These hands-on experiences are so surreal, and it is weird to think that just a couple of years ago, I was still learning how to use a microscope to look at the differences between plant cells and animal cells.

As a little girl, I was fascinated by scientists. To be fair, my early conceptions of scientists consisted mostly of cartoon drawings from children’s books of scientists mixing colorful solutions together in various beakers. I am still sometimes in awe that I get to work with such brilliant scientists who are teaching me so much every day about what it means to be a true scientist. Although there is still a lot for me to learn in order to grow both academically and personally, each day feels like a stepping stone towards an exciting future.