Week 5: Wrap Up

I know that this post is coming a full week after my internship, but I thought it would be best to make sure I had time to fully reflect on everything that happened, up to the last day.

The last week was bittersweet, to say the least. I’ve been ready to come home and enjoy my summer in Michigan, catch up with friends and family, and start getting ahead for my senior year. However, each day seemed to get shorter and shorter as my last day approached, and I found myself thinking of things I would have done if I had only had more time.

My week began with our party’s annual barbecue. Here, I was able to mingle with our party’s federal leader, candidates running for national leadership, and MP Alistair MacGregor, who became a role model for me in thinking about how a politician should act. Everyone was friendly and genuine, which was something I had come to expect in Ottawa, but am appreciating more and more as I readjust to life stateside. It really is strange how I stopped considering my internship in Ottawa “work” when my colleagues, Legislative Assistants, and Members of Parliament became my friends as well. In my mind it affirms the old adage, “Love what you do, and you’ll never work a day in your life.”

My week ended with dinner at my Legislative Assistant, Nic’s, house. I had only planned to stay for the meal, but found myself staying until midnight, talking about everything that wasn’t work: His wife and (soon-to-be) child, my future plans, and things we have learned from our respective journeys. He is someone I’ll certainly miss being around every day.

To close, I have learned more practical life skill from this internship than I ever have in a classroom. Interning in my office taught me to network, be persistent and unafraid, take initiative, and take ownership of my work in order to achieve the best result. I could say so much more, but I’ll end on this: It was an absolute pleasure to work in the Office of Christine Moore. To anyone who thinks that five weeks is “too short” for an internship (as I’ve been hearing lately): What you get from these kinds of opportunities is only marginally related to the amount of time spent physically present in a place, listening and taking notes. It’s much more related to what you do with the opportunities you choose to go for and take while you’re there. I can proudly say that the only regret I have as of today, is that I’m not continuing to make a difference in the office.

One thought on “Week 5: Wrap Up

Jacob, what a thoughtful reflection. Sometimes it is harder to come back from a fantastic adventure than it is to dive into something completely unfamiliar. I hope that you will be able to keep in touch with the people that you’ve connected with, and welcome back to the US!