Blog Post #1

I am close to finishing a month of my internship at Ashoka University’s Admissions Office in New Delhi, India but procrastination and tiredness led me to write my first blog post just now! So far, I have had an amazing experience working here and I am actually kind of sad that my internship is going to be ending soon. Though New Delhi is and has been my home for over 12 years now, I had never really discovered it on my own mainly due to the fact that I went to a boarding school in Dehradun, Uttarakhand for 5 years. Though I may not have been too much out of my comfort zone as opposed to the people interning in other countries, I consider this experience to be challenging as well.

The best part about my internship is that the Admissions Office isn’t really an “office” in technical terms. It is actually a bungalow converted into a working area with a beautiful garden and leafy trees surrounding it in the heart of South Delhi. The people are super friendly and are big coffee and dessert enthusiasts as I have gathered! Even though I am the youngest here, they don’t treat me like a kid and always keep me updated with what is happening. As the Admissions Program Assistant, my job is to schedule shortlisted applicants’ interviews, essays, and aptitude tests. I also attend to the incoming parents and students who never run out of queries regarding the university and the admissions process. I also pick up phone calls and update SAT scores, certificates, and other required documents. It took me a while to get used to the fast-paced environment at the office but by now I’ve gotten used to it. In my first week, my boss remarked that I was too sweet to the parents who called up and I should learn to be sterner. At that time I couldn’t help but be extra sweet because I didn’t want to mess up, but now, after attending to a million parents, I certainly know what she was talking about!

The biggest issue that I face during the internship is the commute from my home to the office. Delhi traffic is famous for all the wrong reasons, and currently my biggest enemy. Public transport in Delhi is efficient, but not too safe for women, and the connectivity between the stops and locations in poor as well. And the heat just makes it so much worse! I get my father’s friend to drop me in the mornings when he goes to his office, but in the evenings, it sometimes even takes me 2 hours to get home. So, my day starts at 6 in the morning, and by the time I get home by 6:30-7, I just crash!

Apart from that, looking back, I’ve had a great time at my internship and I’ll try to blog more frequently!

2 thoughts on “Blog Post #1

Glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time and that your internship is going well! It’s especially great to hear that you’ve discovered New Delhi on your own terms and through a different set of lenses. Did you find anything surprising or new?

Hi Angela, thanks for your comment! Yes, though Delhi has been my home for a long time, I haven’t been out by myself. It just makes me feel more independent and I have realized that it is not as scary and big as it seemed to me earlier.