D.C. Diaries – Freer|Sackler Galleries, Smithsonian Institution | #3

It’s almost been a month at the Freer|Sackler and I can’t believe my internship is almost halfway done! My schedule and workload have become increasingly demanding, but I have been loving every second of it.
Over the past two weeks, I have taken on a number of new projects and had the ability to meet many of the other departmental interns who are also working at the Freer|Sackler this summer. Whle I have mostly been working within the Public Programs Department, I recently was able to meet with one of the museum’s senior curators and discuss a longer-term project within the Curatorial Department. Though all of the details have not been completely finalized, I believe the project will entail researching Japanese prints from 1870 to around 1940 and ultimately developing a template or presentation that could used in the future towards engaging a high school visitor audience. 

While I have a number of ongoing projects, dates, and deadlines, my favorite project that I have completed so far during my internship was my coordination of Freer and Sackler’s reopening weekend storytelling event. A couple of weeks ago, I was tasked with researching, contacting, tabulating, and setting up phone interviews for over 25 potential storytellers for the Freer and Sackler’s reopening event. For the event, which will take place in October, the storyteller will need to come up with and perform three stories related to Asian culture and the continuing efforts and legacy of the Freer and Sackler. This week, I have been tasked with interviewing a number of them over the phone by myself, and I can’t wait to learn more about what each of the potential storytellers can possibly provide! Talk to you guys next time!