Veins and Arteries | #3

Week 3’s word of the week is “wholesome”.

This week, one of our guest lecturers asked us what we liked about the program and what surprised us the most about the program. The word wholesome accurately describes my feelings towards the MCORRP program. As an incoming intern, I did not know what to expect. The position description involved being able to create our own research project, lectures from professionals in the medical field, and shadowing in clinics. The multifaceted design of this program made it become a very wholesome educational experience.

The program has allowed me to gain independence through being able to explore a research topic that I formulated from my personal observations the patient data that I have been entering into the MAQI2 Cardiac Database on patient warfarin usage. The ability to have free reign over defining the variables and making the raw data table for statistical analysis is a scary thought but also exhilarating to be able to truly own the project as an original thesis.

Working at World Medical Relief taught me to appreciate the unlimited resources I have access to as a citizen of a first-world country and allowed me to be more informed of the multiple variations of medical devices used in treatment. Sorting through different gauzes, sizes and shapes of catheters, and IV needles taught me how to easily identify future tools while being able to help out an understaffed non-profit organization with a noble cause.

This week, I got a chance to shadowing the cath lab at the UM Cardiovascular Center. To be able to visit patients pre- and -post operation for problems in the vein and arteries field was an eye-opening experience. I got to learn more about doctor-patient interactions and how a debrief worked during a regular routine.

Overall, the wholesomeness of the program has been the most surprising aspect about my internship. I am excited to see what more surprises are to come in the next few weeks.

Coleen

One thought on “Veins and Arteries | #3

As another student pursuing a similar field as you, it sounds like you have gained so many rewarding experiences! The program you are in truly sounds wonderful and extremely comprehensive. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time as a part of it!