The Pressure is On | #3

An obstacle I have faced is that a lot of my work depends on work done by other people. Thus, I have to keep the people I assign tasks to happy and motivated. That way they will be more willing to help me instead of pushing my work off. Really, this just comes with understanding and experience working with people of all different backgrounds.

Growing up in the suburbs of Chicago, pretty much all my friends and the people I interacted with were American citizens. As a result, I did not think of my American citizenship much. In Singapore, this has changed. First, there were problems with my Work Holiday Pass, a pass that allows me to work in Singapore for the full four-month duration of my internship. These problems resulted in me not getting my pass for over one and a half months…I still don’t have one. My co-workers all come from many nationalities and they explained how lucky I was to be a US citizen since they get three months of stay in Singapore without a visa.

As my work continues, I think not only on how I can solve a problem but who is best suited to solve it. Of course, if it is simple enough and only takes a few minutes of browsing Google to solve, I’ll do it. That being said, I always tap into people’s expertise at the office so that work flows more smoothly. So, while I work most closely with the head of business development, I feel comfortable working with the entire office.

My favourite experience was getting a promotional video done for a client. One of our clients Yamazaki Mazak, manufactures machinery for several different companies. While the video was being filmed their Senior Director personally escorted me throughout the factory. I found it interesting to see how they made these massive machines and was startled by how advanced the technology they were using was. My company, Cleantech Solar, agreed to do this video because Mazak was excited to show off the solar plant on their rooftop which made for a good PR campaign for both companies.

I included a picture of the solar plant my company installed on Mazak’s roof and a picture of me next to a booth I ran to gain more clients.

2 thoughts on “The Pressure is On | #3

Learning how to tap into people’s strengths is extremely important in developing leadership and working in team environments. It’s great that you are able to cultivate this skill throughout your internship!

• June 30, 2017 at 8:51 am

Hi, Jenny thank you so much. It has been a very rewarding experience and a great learning opportunity.