Developments from a Development Intern [#3]

I can’t believe I’ve already been working at Red Wagon Entertainment for a month! My supervisors have kept me very busy with different projects, and I’ve had a great time getting to know my fellow interns, so the time has flown!

Since I started working, I’ve written coverage for more than ten potential projects, including novels and screenplays. Additionally, I’ve volunteered to help my supervisor research playwrights and plays to find material that could potentially make a great film! Anyone who knows me well knows that theatre was my very first love, so this is right up my alley! But my favorite project so far has been researching a particular true story that my supervisor encouraged me to write up a pitch document on (I think my grammar is totally off here, but oh well). A pitch doc is basically your overview of a potential film or TV series, and you have to basically sell the show to a studio or streaming service. Using only a few news articles as source material, I drafted a pitch doc for a whole series, which was a lot of fun because it allowed me to use my skills as a writer to take some creative liberty with the concept. And of course, I can’t exactly say what this concept is, but I’m hoping that it’ll turn into something more! One of the great rewards of working for a small production company is that your creative voice is heard, and you’re really treated like part of the team. All in all, I’m very excited to see where this project might go!

Madison F

Madison (Maddie) Fyke is a rising senior in LSA, pursuing a double major in Screen Arts & Cultures and Communication Studies. This summer she is interning at Red Wagon Entertainment in Los Angeles.