Trying New Things | #4

This week has been a week of trying out different things with regards to food and programming languages! I had some experience with front-end development before my internship in Bangalore thanks to an internship I did at Dubai with Bayt.com, the Middle East’s #1 job site. For the past week, however, I have been working primarily on the back-end while employing PHP and MySQL, neither of which I had a substantial amount of experience with before coming to Bangalore. As a software engineer, you are expected to make a decision between front-end and back-end at some point in your career and having worked in both subfields, I now know how tough the decision would be. Nevertheless, that decision is a while away and I am sure my choice will be clearer by that time.

Learning MySQL was quite a task as working with databases is, at first, very different from working on the front-end and the UI of a platform. However, as I got more accustomed to the syntax and specifics, I realized that database management through MySQL had a lot in common with the data analytics projects we were assigned in our programming classes at UM while PHP helped me get a clear picture of the connections between the front-end and back-end. With an understanding of the tools of MySQL, PHP, JavaScript, HTML and CSS, one can design functioning web-applications particularly those involving heavy amounts of data such as a data analytics platform so it was a great milestone to have worked with all these tools during the internship so far and gaining a pretty solid understanding of them.

Outside of the office, I had worked towards my goal to explore the Bangalore food scene. After speaking to a couple employees here, I now have a decent understanding of the best places to eat around the city and tried my best to visit as many of those locations as possible. Most of them were a long Uber ride away thanks to the busy Bangalore traffic but, fortunately, due to the tech savvy atmosphere of the city, a lot of these restaurants offered delivery options through various mobile apps. Bangalore is known to be a melting pot of different cultures around India and even around the world, so the dining options in the city featured flavors from all over the country. Momos are a traditional ‘street food’ snack here very similar to dumplings, but I had opted to eat them at a mall close to the hotel and still enjoyed them a great deal!

At work, I expect to tackle more tasks related to manipulating data in the back-end while coordinating with the tech lead and project manager at the company. My parents and sister have also joined me in India for a week. We are planning to travel to Goa over the long weekend and I’m looking forward to a great couple of days over there!

Rodney S

I am a computer engineering major at the University of Michigan passionate about software development, project management and consulting.

4 thoughts on “Trying New Things | #4

Now that you have experience with both front-end and back-end development, which one do you think you like better? Glad you’re getting to travel around the city and try new foods! Do you have any pictures of the food you tried? 🙂

• June 30, 2017 at 9:30 am

As of now, I think that I do prefer back-end development as it has a lot more to do with data manipulation as opposed to design, but it would definitely be a tough choice to make. As for the pictures, I somehow always forget to take pictures at the restaurants :/ but I did take a few this week and have just posted them on my fifth post. 🙂

I do agree that at some point in our careers, we are expected to make a choice to specialize in either front-end or back-end development. However, there are still people who continue to do both. What are your thoughts on full-stack development?

Full-stack development is definitely an option too as it would avoid having to commit to one particular subfield. However, having spoken to some software engineers, it seems as though full stack engineers are not perceived well in the industry as quite a number of them are only familiar in front-end and back-end without having a solid understanding of either subfield. Nevertheless, I do think that with the changing job market nowadays, full-stack engineers would offer a level of flexibility that companies would find extremely valuable.