What I Wish I Knew At The Start Of My Internship | #4

Prompt: What do you wish you knew at the beginning of your experience that you know now?

Something that I wish I knew at the beginning of my internship that I know now is how willing my colleagues are to share their knowledge with me. When I first started, I was hesitant to ask questions about assignments that I was working on. I worried about bothering my coworkers with unnecessary or unimportant questions. The result was that I usually attempted to figure out questions and problems on my own. In the process, I learned on my own how to do some of the work, but other times I feel I would have benefitted from asking my coworker’s advice. I realize now that I should have asked questions. I had feared that my colleagues might not have been happy being bothered by questions. But, rather than being annoyed by questions, my colleagues were happy to answer questions that helped me better complete assignments. If I had known their willingness to answer questions when I started I definitely would have asked more questions of my coworkers, and in the process, I think, I would have learned more, faster.