Halfway There

Officially halfway through my internship and have been in HK for 8 weeks!

Starting to get adapted socially more, but also realizing that people in HK always come in waves. People are from so many different countries, you just never know when you’ll see them next. HK is so much more culturally diverse and culturally accepting than the States. I always thought that because the States was the melting pot that we were the ones that are more culturally diverse. Apparently not. Most people here have lived in 4+ countries, speak 3+ languages and have attended international school.

Work is crazy and busy as always. Lots of emergency tasks to be done and lots of tedious work. Thankfully I haven’t had to stay too late at the office, usually until 6:30 or 7, which isn’t too bad for HK. Two other interns came in last week, so things got interesting around here as I had more people my age that I could interact with. I hope that my next 7 weeks at this internship, I will be able to get my hands on more projects and be able to be part of the driving force behind many of these ideas that go into our app!

2 thoughts on “Halfway There

How long do people usually work in HK? I know in Japan people tend to work sort of crazy hours, not sure if a 12+ hour workday is also common there?

Having seen the cultural diversity of Hong Kong, what sorts of differences in attitudes do people present? I wonder how this could be brought back to the U.S.!

People usually work 10-12 hour days also! It’s crazy!
    Cultural diversity, I noticed that people here are more culturally accepting of international students and people are more used to others having accents and having to speak more than one language. I think in the US we have a larger variation of ethnicities, but are less culturally accepting, i.e., people with accents are sometimes looked down upon, versus in HK, there is a smaller variation in ethnicities, but because people here have lived in so many countries and are so globalized, they tend to accept different cultures much easier.