Introduction & Expectations | #1

This summer, I am thrilled to share that I will spending 5 weeks on the Eastern Cape of South Africa with the Safari4u Veterinary Program! This trip allows pre-vet students like myself to gain hands-on experience with African wildlife, learn and apply advanced veterinary techniques, and administer care to animals in impoverished communities. The program is designed for students who are interested in pursuing veterinary medicine and allows those that participate to explore a variety of fields, inducing wildlife, large animal, and small animal medicine. South Africa is home to an enormous range of species, and volunteers have the chance to handle many of these exotic species while participating in game capture, volunteering at the East London Zoo, and handling reptiles at the local sanctuary.

administering anti-parasitic injections in cattle within local villages

community outreach work — “dipping & dosing” dogs
zebra relocation

Through the program’s community project, participants also have the chance to gain large animal experience as they work with a variety of animals in a farm setting.

view for horse castrations

As for small animal experience, volunteers help to treat animals in the disadvantaged communities of the Eastern Cape. Here, participants teach the residents, who have no access to veterinary care or education about animal welfare, about proper care, handling, and nutrition of animals.

My first week with this wonderful program has just come to an end, and I could not be happier with how it went. My expectations have been exceeded, and as I look forward, I am eager to continue learning and growing with the staff and students with which I will continue working.

taking a break at the beautiful cliffs of Morgan Bay

While this trip offers an entirely unique educational experience, it also presents individuals with the irreplaceable opportunity for personal growth and exploration. I intend to take full advantage of these opportunities and look forward to updating you on my progress very soon.

For now, hamba kakuhle!

—Sammi—

—all photos taken by myself—

One thought on “Introduction & Expectations | #1

Wow, this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you to travel and to gain veterinary experience. Beautiful photos and can’t wait to hear more. 🙂