Overcoming an Obstacle | #5

A huge project that I have been assigned to this summer is to create and produce a handful of short videos for one of our clients to post on their social media sites. I have already come up with the concepts and have finalized the storyboards for them. One series of the videos involves a white board animation comparing two customers; one going to our clients store and the other going to retail and ultimately being disappointed. The original idea was to have myself draw on a white board and have it sped up. However, we decided to go through a website called “Fiverr” to hire someone that specializes in what we are looking for. Because we had the budget, we decided it would be easier and faster to outsource the project.

Once we sent the script and received our first revision, we ran into a few issues. I am very nitpicky, but also the video was not to everyone else in the company’s standards as well. Though the animation looks like a white board it was really an image edited to look like it was being drawn. So, some of the images used were stock images and clip art and did not match the style of the entire video. Also, we asked for certain revisions that the person either didn’t do at all, or took what I believed was the easy way out. The whole process was very frustrating because I was not only dealing with the person that was not delivering what we asked, but it was also my idea, and my boss’ money that used for the project that I was in charge of. I didn’t want to waste money, or disappoint my boss about my involvement with the project. In the end, after a few back and forth conversations with the creator, a fellow intern and I sent very descriptive edits, were persistent and clear with the quality we expected when purchasing the project. Though I was hesitant to send harsh messages, I realized that we paid him to do a job that he didn’t deliver, so it was all right to lay out our expectations of him.

The entire process was a struggle, but being clear with my thoughts and expectations allowed myself to ‘fix” the issue. I learned that it is all right to be stern with people, as long as you are not disrespectful. Communicating clearly with other people is essential, in order to creating and sharing ideas.

edeanna

I am a Communications student at the University of Michigan. I love singing, graphic design, and anything creative.