A Dream Come True: Summer Internships in New York! | #1

First thing first, I would like to take a moment to thank you Mr. Benjamin Anderson, and whoever’s in charge of designing the ALA 225 course for including Randall S. Hansen’s article Making the Most of Your Internship within the syllabus. Having read the article, I listed down three main goals for my internship:

1. To understand what it takes to become a better analyst: work on my knowledge and improve my skills.
2. Networking — to learn more about product development and the finance industry.
3. Leave with tangible accomplishment.
(In the process of figuring out what my accomplishment is going to be: but, again, thanks for the article!)

Anyway, forgive me for not introducing myself properly: this is Chin Hau Lim, a freshman student at the University of Michigan working towards a Bachelor in Data Science. This summer, I am interning at Investopedia as an E-Commerce Analysts, Intern with the Investopedia Academy department. To this day, I still find the whole experience of me working at Investopedia and living in New York strangely surreal:

1. As an international student, I have always dreamed of living in New York. To work and live in the city that never sleeps (within my first year in the States), I feel like I am living a dream I never want to wake up from.
2. As a finance geek, I am an avid fan of Investopedia. Having taken Finance 302 in my winter semester, I used Investopedia as often as I could. What can be better than working in a company that you truly love.
3. As a student majoring in Data Science (passionate in entrepreneurship), I am lucky enough to land an internship that aligns with my major as it enables me to gain insights on what it takes to become a better analyst.

Anyway, this is the dream: I wouldn’t want to spend my summer any other way.

2 thoughts on “A Dream Come True: Summer Internships in New York! | #1

• June 26, 2017 at 1:21 am

Hi! Wow, how great! I also love how we’ve been given this opportunity to pursue our dreams– I’m also in NYC and I never thought I’d get to be here. I love how you have very clearly set out your goals. I think sometimes goals can be really abstract and, therefore, hard to measure. So, I really hope you check in every few days/once a week and jot down how you’ve gotten closer to your goals since the last time you got to write about them. I look forward to hearing more about your time at Investopedia.

Chin Hau Lim, it’s so cool that you’re living out your dreams this summer! Your blog post really made me think about how I need to come up with/ write down my goals, so I can get the most out of my internship too. Best of luck! Also, I love the photos!