Blog Post 3: Japan

The past 2 weeks have been very similar. I spent both in the tank cleaning department, which is about as fun as it sounds. The hardest thing about cleaning tanks is remembering all the specific and somewhat intricate details for each type of tank. We have around 4-5 different types of tanks which hold our beer before it’s ready to be sold to consumers worldwide. When the beer is distributed and the tank nearly empty, we come along and rinse and clean out the tank to be good to go for the next batch. This process involves creating a circuit with hoses and pipes, a lot of opening/closing switches, and knowing how much of what chemical to put in for the wash. Overall, I’ve spent 2 weeks on the kegging team and now 2 weeks on cleanup crew. These are the production sides of the house. I’ve heard that next month we’ll be working on the more administrative section, such as doing analysis of the beer while it’s fermenting.

Other than that, last weekend a UM alum took me and a friend to the tomb of the first Shogun. It was really cool to look into Japanese history and hear the explanation behind some of the buildings and their symbolism. That man was able to unite Japan under one rule and provide peace and stability for the feudal states by defeating the warring factions at the time. We also rented a rowboat and went to a gorgeous lake up in the mountains, which I loved. Next week I’ll go back to kegging team to finish the month, and that weekend I’ll be in Tokyo going to American restaurants trying to celebrate the 4th with some folks I met in the past month.

One thought on “Blog Post 3: Japan

If it makes you feel better, even though cleaning isn’t the most fun task, it’s still a vital part of the overall process of making beer! 🙂 But I’m glad you were able to travel around Japan and learn about the culture. Have a good holiday!