India x Raymond, Part V; “I’ll never see you again”

Well, this is it. The last blog post. Also, my last day in India.  Today, I bought my last pani bottle (bottle of water). Today, I ate my last lychee, fresh coconut, roti, and paneer in India. Today, I saw my last car with a steering wheel on the left side.

Of course, I don’t know if it’s my last. I might come back to India, you never know. And I guess it’s this uncertainty that makes saying good bye to India different. When I say goodbye to my college friends, or my parents, there’s always an understanding that we’ll see each other again. There’ll be Christmas, Easter, or more school. But that’s just not the case for India.

Partially, it’s a selfish thing. I worry if I will be remembered if I never come back. Have I made enough of an impact on at least one person in India that some memory of me will stay here forever? I hope so, but I can’t be sure.

However, I can be sure that I won’t forget India, even if I never come back. I won’t forget the view of the mountains, the smell of the cow dung, or the taste of the rock salt. I guess that makes India quite literally unforgettable.

Every morning while I taught summer school in India, we sang the good morning song, but as people have been leaving, I’ve been changing it to the good-bye song. This frustrates and annoys some people, probably because, at the end of the sing, I changed ‘so glad you came today’ to ‘I’ll never see you again.’ But for India, that might be true, and I guess the point of the song is that saying goodbye is not a sad thing, but a normal thing. We see things and people every day that we might never see again every day. I guess this thing is just a little bigger than some others.

One thought on “India x Raymond, Part V; “I’ll never see you again”

It’s so hard to leave somewhere without knowing if and when you would return. I hope that your experience has left you with fond memories of India and wish you safe travels home. 🙂 Perhaps you can send your students a postcard or email Rachna to keep in touch, that’s something that can feel more certain than holding off until you are back in India!