Great Expectations | #4

I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t a tad nervous when my mother dropped me off at Logan Airport at the end of May. I was traveling internationally alone for the first time, boldly headed to a foreign country where I knew next to nobody.

I tried to tamper any expectations my mind drew up. Would I not share similarities with my fellow interns? My roommates could be unbearable! Maybe this company isn’t the right fit . . .

Nice spot in Bute Park seen during my initial stroll around the city

Despite these pervasive thoughts, I tried to take everything in stride. One thing that surprised me is how little time it took to get comfortable with my new surroundings. I made sure to give myself plenty of time to settle in, which turned out to be a worthwhile idea. On the day I arrived, I walked for several hours to get the lay of the land and ease my nerves. Step by step, I located all of the necessary spots – from the sim card store to the closest burrito joint. Each day of my first week in Cardiff was planned to include a different activity. This made it so by the time my jet lag was gone, I had found a nice rhythm.

Hard at work on day 1!

Then work started, and before I knew it, I had to get comfortable with a wide variety of personalities. Luckily, my colleagues welcomed me with open arms, making the transition to the company decidedly smooth. The relaxed demeanor of those around me, along with immediate trust from my manager, made my integration into the team seamless.

On a later visit to Bute Park I brought some fellow interns with me

Had I not controlled my thoughts and expectations, these preconceived ideas may have altered how I adjusted to life in Cardiff. It just goes to show; sometimes the best expectations are having none at all!

One thought on “Great Expectations | #4

It can be really nerve-wracking to travel somewhere new, but I think your open mind and eagerness to explore really helped the transition. Hope all is still well 🙂