Sales as a Second Language | Blog #2

Hello from NYC!! I’m about to start my fourth week of my internship and here’s some of the stuff I’ve done and realized so far:

My first few assignments from my supervisor and the rest of the hospital team sales representatives have been related to finding leads at various hospitals who might want to advertise through WebMD’s various, premium services. There are multiple websites dedicated to professional networking, which I have been scouring to try to find contact information for prospective clients. I have learned that search terms are incredibly important and that looking in multiple places and cross-referencing is necessary. Making a clean and readable spreadsheet for all the information is also vital to the process. I have also been researching the differences between teaching, for-profit, and not-for-profit hospitals and health systems. There are so many hospitals and they are all run wildly differently. Who knew? I have enjoyed researching the major for-profit health systems because 6 of the top 10 have headquarters in Nashville, which is where I was born and raised. The largest for-profit hospital system, Hospital Corporation of America, was founded by a family that is HUGE in Nashville. They also have an awesome art museum so it was fun to make that connection.

I think some of the biggest challenges this summer will be learning the language of sales, sales planning, and the health systems world. In the first three weeks, I have already heard about a thousand things I have not understood or even ever hear before. I have to become very comfortable accepting that I do not know many aspects of this business and be okay asking many questions as I go. I am starting to get better at figuring out which questions are the most valuable and what things I can research later on my own time. My assignments and the meetings I get to sit in on all present new ideas and words, which is slightly difficult; however, I am getting the opportunity to learn about things that are very different than what I study at school. It is nice to be able to be exposed to a completely new industry. Everyone in the sales and sales planning division has been trying really hard to get the interns involved and teach us whatever they can. I’ve gotten to know so many people already in the open environment. I like going to lots of different types of meetings because it keeps it more interesting. I am also learning new computer skills, which is super helpful because I was not great at excel prior to this internship. I also learned how to pull screenshots from live ads on the website using three different programs. I’m definitely doing things I never do at school, but I like the people I’m around and I’m adapting every day.

Gracie H

My name is Gracie Hoffman and I'm from Nashville, TN! I am a rising junior in LSA studying Political Science and the History of Law and Policy. I'm currently interning at WebMD and exploring New York City.

One thought on “Sales as a Second Language | Blog #2

This is so interesting! Would love to hear more about the differences you’ve learned about each of the health systems and glad to hear you’re becoming an Excel expert!