Blog #1 Feels Good To Be Back…

So, this summer I’ve returned to Detroit to intern with Voices for Earth Justice. I interned with them back in 2015 when I was in the Detroit Community Based Research Program. VEJ is a nonprofit comprised of an interfaith network of people who have a common goal of repairing the planet and improving relationships between people. Located in Detroit’s Brightmoor neighborhood, VEJ sits on the corner of Puritan and Greydale. Two renovated homes and several lots make up VEJ and their education center, Hope House. I’m back and I’m working alongside their 2017 DCBRP intern, Elsa and a neighborhood teen named Lamar who has been interning since 2015.  It was so nice to be back in the city and continue to assist in the transformation of the space. My role this summer is facilities coordinator for the summer resiliency camp. What that entails is organizing the various workshops, creating age appropriate activities for campers, and recruiting campers. So far, planning is going well and it looks like we have enough knowledgeable volunteers to run workshops. 

I’ve also been helping out with the planting of the community garden and upkeep of Hope House.  I also have a side project that I am working on and it is to transform this overgrown area into an inviting sitting area in the back of the property. It is coming along. I just need to plant some flowers and paint the bench.

Elsa and my supervisor, Naim in the garden.

Overgrown space.

Walkway cleared and pavers reset.