Blog 5 | Overcoming Obstacles

At this point in my internship, I am fortunate to say that there have not been ay major obstacles I have had to overcome.  However, there was one experience which I would define as an obstacle which I had to address.  As an intern, we often chart games for highlights and while we are charting games anchors often ask us questions while writing their scripts if they cannot find an answer on google or so they can avoid having to search something themselves.  During the US Open, one anchor asked me if the cut line to reach the second day of the tournament was 10 shots behind the leader.  I thought it was ten shots so I replied yes, and the

During the US Open, one anchor asked me if the cut line to reach the second day of the tournament was 10 shots behind the leader.  I thought it was ten shots so I replied yes, and the anchor put it in his script.  However, as it came closer and closer to the 10:30 news, I had a feeling I may have been wrong.  I researched it and I realized the cutline in the US Open is the to 60 golfers on the leaderboard, regardless of how many shots the golfer is behind the leader.  I faced a dilemma, correct the error shortly before air and face an angry anchor, or let the error slide and hope no one who knew it was wrong would notice and call the station.  I told the anchor I made a mistake, and the cut line was the top 60, and he was not upset.  We fixed the error and he thanked me for researching it more.

I think I learned how much of a team job putting together a newscast is after I corrected the error.  The anchor was not mad at me, but rather grateful I caught the error before it aired.  At that point I began to understand that everyone at the station is in the business of conveying the news in the most accurate way possible, and any effort from me, even as an intern, to help make the news more accurate would be greatly appreciated.