Day 1 | #1

Hi everyone!

My name is Madison and I’m currently a rising senior in the college of literature, science, and the arts studying economics. This summer I was presented the opportunity to study abroad and work in Sydney through Ross, so here I am in the beautiful city of Sydney, Australia! The program placed me in a small company called BIS Oxford Economics where I am currently an economic research intern in the mining, infrastructure, and asset sales department (yeah I know, it’s a mouthful). The Sydney office has about 35 employees while the Melbourne office hosts another 6 employees. I’m 1 of 3 interns. Ivory and I are from the University of Michigan and there’s another intern from Ohio State.

This past Monday was my first day and I really had no idea what to expect. The program leaders told us not to contact our employers before the first day, so Ivory and I just showed up at the front desk at 8:45 am to start our 9am-5:30 pm work day. The dress code here is business casual with “dress down” Fridays.

We were greeted at the desk and led into the office where each intern is given their own desk, computer, and phone (my phone even has my name on it, fancy). They wasted no time and threw us right into working on excel documents, inputting data and creating tables. I hadn’t used excel in a while so I was a little rusty, but am currently on day 3 of work and let me tell you, sitting on the program for 8 hours 3 days in a row really makes you pick it right back up. I’m currently working on data input for agriculture and irrigation for various parts of Australia.

The office staff are all very friendly and willing to help when needed. Every Tuesday, we have soccer games at lunch that a few of the staff participate in. Overall so far it’s been a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to the next 8 weeks!

Cheers,

Madison