Is Legal For Me? | #2

My parents always told me I’d be a good lawyer, because I was bossy, loud, and could find the loophole in almost any argument. Growing up, I had always imagined myself in some sort of business field. Upon entering high school, I had figured out that I loved politics. Never once did I give serious thought to being an attorney. But, as I did more research, I became intrigued by the connection between law and politics. The symbiotic relationship of laws and policies is one that dictates how societies function and how government systems run. That is why this summer, I decided to go out on a limb and try an internship in the legal world, something that was way out of my comfort zone. In recent years, I had begun asking myself if I should go to law school, and I decided that my internship this summer in Quicken Loans’ legal department would be a perfect way for me to figure out if it was right for me.

I am about halfway done with my internship, and I still don’t know the answer to my question. Some days I love what I do: reading legal briefs, helping on fascinating (and sometimes hilarious) cases, and learning all the ins and outs of what it means to be a corporate lawyer (although anyone who’s worked at Quicken Loans will tell you the atmosphere is far from “corporate”) in the modern business world. I have been blessed with amazing mentors and a great team of attorneys who have let me see everything they do through their eyes. I don’t feel like an intern: I feel like another member of their team. Being the youngest intern in the entire legal department is a very daunting thing, but I have pleasantly surprised myself with how much I have learned and how much I already knew about the law in the beginning.

However, there are some days where I second guess myself. These are the days where reading one more legal document will frustrate me to no end. The days where I don’t know what I’m doing. However, these days are few and far between.

I believe I’ll be able to answer the question “is legal right for me?” when I’m finished and done with this internship come mid august. I think only then will I have the ability to look back and reflect on the journey I’ve been on and make a rational decision. However, it seems that, as of now, it is a field I enjoy very much and one that I want to pursue further.

Decorative Scales of Justice

One thought on “Is Legal For Me? | #2

It’s great that you tried something so out of your comfort zone that may end up changing your direction! And also completely normal to still not know if it’s the right path for you. It might also be helpful to talk to people practicing other kinds of law to see if that sounds more intriguing.