Personal Effects

Although I enjoy the work that I am accomplishing and all of the new skills I have been learning through my experience at the hospital so far, the interactions with many of ur participants have been taking a toll on me.

Fortunately, I am lucky enough to get to make meaningful connections with many people who are struggling with addictions through administering the study. Unfortunately, many of those participants have had difficult pasts and tell troubling stories from their lives. The more time I spend with them, the more I care about these people and their happiness. Hearing negative stories of their experiences and lives can often take a toll on my mood and leave me wishing I could help them in a more immediate way.

Although this study will hopefully contribute to the psychological world in identifying vulnerabilities in patients who are cutting down their drug use and, in turn, allow us to generate new and more effective therapies for these patients, I know that this process will take a long time before results are shown.

Emily D

I am an incoming senior at the University of Michigan studying biopsychology, cognition, and neuroscience. I am currently interning at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City in their brain research unit. My research team is currently conducting a study in order to gain an understanding of the neurobiological underpinnings of reward processing and cue-reactivity in individuals with chronic cocaine use disorders. I am thrilled and excited to begin my research in this field.