Zagreb #6 (Final)

As my internship is coming to an end, I’ve been reflecting on my time in Zagreb. Although I was very excited to spend my time in a different country this summer and having my very first internship, my expectations were low. So low, that I came to Croatia thinking my job would basically just be making coffee in a cool location. But luckily, I was wrong. From the first day, I was working on tasks that were not only interesting to me, but also very important to the organization. I learned a lot about politics and the society in Croatia, the history of the Balkans, and the everyday work of NGOs. I learned that to work with an NGO, you need your brain just as much as you need your body because the work is exhausting – both mentally and physically. Another thing I learned is that the work at NGOs is highly diverse. The tasks I was assigned ranged from doing research for my supervisors’ policy proposals to translating and proofreading documents and online content. I even created posters and banners for protests! However, not all the experiences I had were positive. My everyday life at work at times severely lacked structure, and my workload ranged from not doing a lot in the first week to being completely overworked towards the end of my internship. Luckily, I managed to resolve all these issues. Overall, working with this organization was a great experience and has taught me a lot about myself and my future career aspirations. Everyday I spent working here, I was thinking about how fortunate I am to have this opportunity and to live in such an incredible city.

One thought on “Zagreb #6 (Final)

Konrat, it sounds like you were able to get experience in many aspects of the NGO! I’m glad you were able to resolve the issues that came up as it will help you navigate future barriers wherever you are next. What are some things that you learned about yourself or your future aspirations?

Safe travels home!