HI SHANGHAI – First Impressions | #1

The Bund (Shanghai)

Hi! I’m Kevin, a rising sophomore!

I have been in Shanghai, China for a month already. I still have two more months to go!

I’m participating in a program called CRCC Asia, which includes a 1-month Mandarin-intensive course and a 2-month internship placement. Before this week, I had been attending a Mandarin intensive course five days a week for a month. At first, I wanted to take on an internship in Manchester, U.K. However, I decided that Mandarin is an important asset that will make me a better job candidate in the future. So, I ended up deciding that it is better for me to improve my Chinese and take on an internship simultaneously this summer. Where’s a better environment to learn Chinese than China?

I started my internship this week at a company called Ai Wei (愛味), who are known for their famous coffee/herbal tea beverage maker in China. However, they are trying to enter the global/western market with their new Kickstarter project, JUISIR. I will be specifically working with their Marketing Department to launch this product. Since they are a Shanghai-based company, almost all of their employees. speak Chinese with very minimal English. So, I hope to make a very big impact in the way the company and the product will portray itself in the global market.

I have a lot of expectations in terms of my learning curve. Because the company is very busy right now with launching the product very soon, I believe that there will be a lot of tasks for me to work on. I want to focus on every aspect of launching the product and the follow up after launch. It is not an overly large yet successful company, so I even hope to interact and learn from the CEO directly if I do get the chance.

Commuting to work is extremely convenient and cheap but is a bit far from where I currently live. There are millions of bikes around for anyone to use. You just have to deposit! My work hours are from 9:30 AM to 6:30 PM, but I have to wake up at 7:30 AM because the commute is 1 hour and 20 minutes.

The picture below is where my company is located. The office is located on the 11th & 12th floor of SOHO in Songhong Road. I have previous experience working in a civil engineering firm, so I am very familiar with working in a professional setting. However, most of the work I did was more individualized work. I hope I can learn the importance of team collaboration and the emphasis of more team-oriented projects.

SOHO (Songhong Road, Shanghai)

2 thoughts on “HI SHANGHAI – First Impressions | #1

When you said “Ai Wei,” I instantly thought you were working with dissident Chinese artist Ai Wei Wei oops haha.

Since most people in the office speak Chinese, this sounds like a great opportunity to practice your language skills! Working abroad and dealing with the language barrier can definitely make your head hurt, but I’m sure when you look back on it you will see how far you’ve come both with the language and developing professionally in team environments.

Yeah! The best way to improve my Chinese is to actually use it. I’m looking forward to how to a grow by the end of this!