Week Two in Rabat, Morocco

One word can characterize this week: festivities. The Eid, or the end of Ramadan, began at the end of the week yet families were already traveling long before. At the beginning of the week I was still giving my english lessons to the 20+ children in my classroom and, by the last two days of the week (thursday and friday), I had only 2 or 3 kids to look after. Because of this, teaching was nearly impossible and, instead, we spent our time playing games and occasionally writing down the alphabet or playing alphabet games (really, anything that was fun but also educational). However, seeing the diminishing number of students in my classroom really showed me how important and impactful the islamic religion is for these people and how their culture and their family time is very much a part of their religion. It was obvious that many families were leaving town to be with their extended family in another town and I myself experienced the family atmosphere in my own host family when, during the Eid, we all got together, sang songs, and beat the drum late into the night. Overall, this week, while productive, was in fact the most lively, family-oriented and culture-oriented week that I have had the pleasure of experiencing.

One thought on “Week Two in Rabat, Morocco

Helen, being in Morocco for Eid sounds like such a perfect time to learn more about the culture! I’m glad you have a host family so that you could take part in the festivities yourself. 🙂