Blog 6 – It’s Little Me, Back from Paris

Paris was absolutely amazing! We did everything we possibly could: ate at cafés (and ate Parisian baguettes, croissants, and crepes), saw the Notre Dame de Paris cathedral, the Seine, the streets of Paris, the metro, the locks on the bridges, Moulin Rouge, Montparnasse, the Palace of Justice, the Sacred Heart, the Palace of Versailles, Champs-Élysées, the Eiffel Tower, the catacombs, and the Louvre (and the Mona Lisa of course!).

We happened to arrive on the day of the summer solstice, which was also the same day as France’s festival of music. It’s the one day of the year where there are concerts on the streets throughout the entire country put on by its own citizens. One minute you could be walking by a folk group and the next a rock band. It was so amazing to witness this because I learned about this holiday in high school, but I never imagined that I’d actually see it in person. This is definitely something I’d love to experience again.

I’m glad that I went on this trip after spending some time at my internship first, because it gave me the chance and improve my French. I found that people in Paris tend to be warmer towards those who speak French. This is not to say that every Parisian feels this way, but based on what I experienced, I’m glad that I was able to use my new and improved French in the nation’s capital.

There were so many tourists there, and I didn’t expect to see so many non-Frenchies! There were many Americans and English speakers, and I have to admit that it was kind of nice to interact with native English speakers once again for a few minutes.