Making Beer in Japan! | #4

It’s kind of hard to believe that I’m halfway done with my time here in Ibaraki. A month ago, when I first got here, my mind was flooded with doubt and second thoughts, but now it feels like I’ve been living here forever.

I have become a lot more comfortable at work than I was towards the beginning, and I think this has also started to reflect in the management’s attitude towards me in the brewery. While earlier it felt like I was under constant supervision, they now seem to trust me to handle a lot of things like washing tanks and filling kegs on my own. I have learnt more about beer than I possibly ever will again in my life, and I have become a lot more accustomed to life here in general.

Over the weekend, I got a chance to go to Tokyo again, and while it was nice to see the familiar bright lights and skyscrapers, I think what really made me realize how much I’ve changed is how easy it was for me to interact with new people. At a bar on Saturday night, I met a few people from Australia and Ireland, also working here in Japan, and I ended up spending the entire night exploring the city with them and not bothering to check into my hotel at all. While I did regret this decision going to work on Monday morning, this was something I couldn’t have imagined myself doing a month ago, and it was one of the most memorable nights of my life so far.

I never really thought of this trip as more than an internship, but I have learnt so much outside of work just by experiencing a completely new lifestyle that I have begun to see my time here quite differently.

Hopefully the next four weeks here will be as amazing as the last four.

3 thoughts on “Making Beer in Japan! | #4

• June 30, 2017 at 2:03 am

It’s cool that you can go visit Tokyo on the weekends. Japan looks like a great place to visit and explore!

Making fast connections and talking to new people is such a great skill to have! That’s one of my favorite parts of traveling, is that I am much less afraid of asking questions or the potential awkwardness in talking to strangers. 🙂

That’s really cool! I’ve always wanted to have my own brewery…maybe I should find an internship like you did so I can learn the ropes!