Nearing the End #5

For someone who is interested in conducting research in a lab, there are many things to take into consideration when choosing what to do. As the end of my internship draws near, I realize that a key thing to success is patience. The learning process can be long and treacherous, but without patience, it will be unattainable. Whenever you start out with something new, it will be challenging and present itself with many obstacles. Do not go into a new research position planning on understanding everything, because I can guarantee you that you will not. However, with diligence, hard work, and preparation, you will slowly be able to grasp the concepts and ideas.

If you plan on doing research as a career, my advice will be to start early. It is never a bad idea to get a head start, because not only will it give you a plethora of knowledge and experience, it will help you learn important work qualities. For example, it is essential to be able to work with the other lab members. If there is a lack of communication or respect for one another, the journey only gets tougher. By developing relationships with others, you will be able to achieve your goals sooner.

However, most importantly I will advise you to choose something you love. Do not choose a research position that involves working on something you do not believe in, because every work day will seem like a burden. If you choose something you enjoy, time will seem to go by faster and work will no longer seem like work. Doing research may seem like a daunting task; however with the right resources and mindset, it is manageable.

One thought on “Nearing the End #5

Great advice Jennifer!