Sick… | Blog 3

Today was an incredibly valuable learning experience for me in regards to the professional world. I woke up and felt incredibly sick and started to vomit. This ordeal caused me to be late for work. When I stopped throwing up, I rushed to get ready and got to the workplace as fast as I could. Being 30 minutes late, I apologized to my supervisor and let her know what had happened. She told me to go back home and get some rest. I really did not want to go home. I didn’t think I was sick with an illness, but she reminded me that maybe my body was telling me I was too exhausted or stressed and needed to take a break. She emphasized the importance of balancing work and rest and the responsibility to be mindful of your co-worker’s health as well. “I know how hard you are on yourself,” she said, “but sometimes you just need to rest.” With that I took the day off, feeling embarrassed and regretful that I was missing work. I knew, however, that my body needed the break and I appreciated the grace my supervisor had shown me. From this experience, I have been reminded of the importance of taking care of your health as well as your work and balancing your life to be at your best in all aspects.

One thought on “Sick… | Blog 3

Wonderful lesson! I too am learning the importance of balancing self care and work. Great post!