Blog 3: Being an Indian

As an Indian, I was very excited to intern in India and get the opportunity to have a better understanding of my heritage. I had lived for two years in Mumbai and it seemed like an adventure to return to India, this time to a different city, as an adult.  Although I am Indian, I have not had a lot of experiences within the country, and none in a professional context. To be working here highlights the cultural differences that exist, and the last 3 weeks have really developed what being an Indian means to me.

Working in India has given me the opportunity to explore the Indian economy to develop a more in-depth understanding of the country and its current economic situation. It’s made me develop a newfound interest in the economics and politics of the country, and it’s impacts on the Indian community. With a deeper understanding of the intricacies involved with any change in such a large country, I’ve developed a strong appreciation and pride for the change happening all over the country, particularly with Swaach Bharat, an initiative for a cleaner India.

The work culture is much more rigorous in India as compared to the western world, where people are very willing to work very long hours. But to get anything done requires repeated following up. People are not necessarily punctual, and one needs to constantly be reminding them in order to get things done somewhat on time. Observing and learning this has taught me how to be diplomatic and keep a good relationship, yet still continuously follow up someone to get a task done.

I’ve had the opportunity to visit the Hindustan Aerospace Limited (HAL) museum displaying the various aeroplanes used in the Indian airforce. I felt so proud and patriotic whilst admiring all the achievements our defense has achieved. They export aircrafts and helicopters to over 20 countries!

The last 3 weeks has been a phenomenal learning experience, where I have grown in both knowledge and also as an individual and Indian. I’m excited to understand more on the achievements and initiatives by India!

Vinita C

As a Business major with minors in Economics and Computer Science, I'm fascinated with how the technology-business world works and what makes one tech company more successful than another.

3 thoughts on “Blog 3: Being an Indian

• June 30, 2017 at 8:58 am

Hi Vinita, it’s very interesting since your project relates to “mobility – electric, shared, connected and powered by renewable energy.” I am also majoring in Business and Computer Science and applying these skills by interning at Cleantech Solar, a company in the renewable energy industry.

That sounds so interesting! I’d love to hear more about your experiences in the industry, and how you linked your Business and Computer Science interests to contribute to the company.

• June 30, 2017 at 9:51 am

It is pretty impressive seeing all the positive change and innovations in the country in recent years. Since my family is based in Kochi, Kerala, I have only been to Bangalore once before, but I was surprised to find out how similar the two places really are. All the best for the rest of your time in Bangalore!