Blog #6 | Looking Ahead

My internship at Fox 2 Detroit has been an incredible experience, and my work learning the inner workings of the sports media world has been extremely interesting for me.  However, while I have enjoyed my work at Fox 2, my desire to pursue a career in this field has been impacted less by my experience at the station and more by external events that have impacted the sports media world since I started my internship.  ESPN, the leader in Sports Media worldwide, announced over 200 layoffs of extremely talented writers, producers, and directors.  Earlier this week Fox Sports announced 20 layoffs of their own from the sports department.  Last night at the Tigers game I was lucky enough to discuss this issue with different members of the media from both TV and Radio, and they agreed that while the demand for Sports Content has never been higher, the ease of accessing such content on media platforms like Twitter has decreased the need for traditional sports programming and opinions from television personalities.  Considering this fact has me thinking that my goal of working in Sports Media may not be the best idea in the ever changing world of sports right now, and I am thinking about business school as an alternative.  However, through my

Last night at the Tigers game I was lucky enough to discuss this issue with different members of the media from both TV and Radio, and they agreed that while the demand for Sports Content has never been higher, the ease of accessing such content on media platforms like Twitter has decreased the need for traditional sports programming and opinions from television personalities.  Considering this fact has me thinking that my goal of working in Sports Media may not be the best idea in the ever changing world of sports right now, and I am thinking about business school as an alternative.  However, through my internship I have also learned about sports media jobs that connect more to the business side that I am interested in, so I will likely look to shift my career path from a hands-on member of the sports media industry to maybe a more behind the scenes role.

As I have realized my desire to be a part of the business side of sports and sports media, I will look to rejoin a club I was a part of my Freshman and Sophmore years, the Michigan Sports Business Association.  I will also look to attend the Michigan Sports Business Conference as I have some good friends on the board of that event.  IN terms of classes this internship has not changed my path as my majors do not align with sports or business in any way, and I need to complete my major requirements.  However, involving myself with the SBA and MSBC will be a way for me to build upon my internship and help me better understand other opportunities in the Sports industry.