D.C. Me Rolling

Two things: (1) I really hope that the people who read this blog post’s title understand the reference I am making and (2) I cannot believe I recently just finished my first week of work.

These past few weeks have felt like ages, and in a really good way. Even though I am working 40 hour weeks, I have a lot of time to enjoy myself and explore the city. I feel like I am at home here where I have my regular routine of going to work, seeing the same friendly faces on the way, but I spend most of my evenings and weekends exploring different events and places unique to D.C. Along with other people in the PSIP cohort, we have gone to a soccer game, baseball games, the DC Pride Festival, concerts, the movies, professional development events, and SO much more.

You would also think that by living here for about a month or so that I would have already figured out the metro system, right? Wrong. My friend’s snapchat story describes my experience with public transportation while working in the United States (I lived in Madrid last summer where I commuted at least 45 mins to work and 45 mins back home). You could say I am still adjusting to the city and how fast and aggressive these metro doors close.

Returning to the main reason why I am in D.C.: Work.

In the photo below, that is less than half of the interns at my job. I honestly love coming into work everyday to see all of these faces. We may be in different teams and work on different projects, but almost all of the interns get lunch together every single day. They are the reason why I have been enjoying my internship so much because they are so inclusive and have that team spirit attitude and energy, which is something I am not used to. My previous internship experiences were all individual work and I was the only intern, so I was kind of scared coming to work in D.C. They have made my 40 hour weeks feel like nothing, but also everything rewarding at the same time.

Another fun thing I’d like to put about cities in general: FREE STUFF AT FESTIVALS AND PUBLIC EVENTS! Anything is possible when you wait in line patiently and make great conversation with the event workers to get quality free stuff. These snacks only lasted me a week but that was a week of snacks that I did not have to grocery shop for.

3 thoughts on “D.C. Me Rolling

love the title
    – Kayla

Lol at your title, it’s really cool that you have time to explore D.C.! It looks like you and the other interns are pretty cool with each other, that’s one thing I wish I was getting at my intership. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Your Title is Everything and Congrats on your first week!!!