Federal Internship – Blog #1

Forum Post #1

Hi guys, my name is YaYa Sun and I’m interning on the Judicial and Legal team at the Education Division in the Federal Judicial Center. Conveniently located near Union station and near Capitol Hill, I can easily go to events nearby. Besides the FJC, I’m also a member of the Public Service Internship Program.

Although this is my first post, I’ve already been working at the FJC for four weeks already and it has been great so far! It was definitely slow my first week, but the work started piling up pretty fast. I have been working on numerous projects since the beginning of my internship and have had an opportunity to attend really interesting events.

As part of the Education Division, I assist with the department in creating and facilitating workshops and educational tools for Federal judges and court employees throughout the country. Besides typical intern duties, I have been able to learn numerous things that I wouldn’t have otherwise done before. For example, I’ve realized most people do not know the differences between the different levels of federal courts and what cases are presented there. From researching news every day and learning about the Federal courts, I’ve learned more about the courts than I would ever had in a class setting.

My favorite event last week was being able to visit the Supreme Court and see the justices in person.  The director of the eduction division arranged for all the interns to sit in during an open opinion period. Although it only lasted 12 minutes in total and we had to wait 30 minutes before it even started, it was such a great experiences. Seeing RBG in real-life, even though she’s further away, was a dream come true! The Supreme Court itself is beautiful. I’m excited to attend even more opportunities like this in the future!

2 thoughts on “Federal Internship – Blog #1

That is really cool you were able to sit in on an open opinion period – I didn’t even know that existed! What did they talk about?

Hi YaYa!

I’m glad you got to meet such important people because of your internship! And you are very right — you learn a lot more when you are immersed in a scene than when you learn about it in a class. I hope you get to meet more great people as you work!