High Risk, Higher Reward

I mentioned briefly in my last post that before I could overthink it or second guess myself, I had gone and signed myself up for a Bollywood dance class here in Bangalore. Now with 2 classes left, I can confidently say I will be able to look back on doing it as an amazing decision, and it will definitely be one of the most memorable and positive experiences that I have from this summer.

I signed up for the class, not only hoping to be able to branch out socially and meet some new people, but also to grow and become more open personally. I may not be performing for huge crowds anytime soon, but taking this class really wasn’t so much about the dancing for me, but how it has allowed me to grow. It was a big risk in a (relatively) new country with new people, and I had to kind of tell myself to not think too much about it and just let be able to let go.

I find myself looking forward to coming to every class, and leaving every day with a smile on my face. The group of people were all so incredibly welcoming and fun, and I genuinely do feel like I’ve made new friends. Last week one of the people in the class was thoughtful enough to bring in a cake for me as a belated birthday surprise and we all had a little celebration.

Celebrating with cake and wonderful new friends at the Zealers Dance Studio! Of course I forgot to look at the camera!

The biggest takeaway from taking this dance class was definitely that an internship, especially abroad, doesn’t have to be just about the professional connections you make. Although that is undoubtedly important, what will really make the experience special is to treat this new place like a home for you. Do stuff like this, meet new people outside of your office, take risks even if you think you’ll look stupid, because it will only make the experience that much more rewarding.

Rhea K

Interning in the summer of 2017 with Mahindra First Choice in Bangalore, India.

One thought on “High Risk, Higher Reward

Happy belated birthday! 🙂 I’m glad you have found a home away from home and made friends in your dance class. Interning abroad to me is so much more than just work experience, but also in challenging yourself personally and becoming a more confident, risk-taking adventurer!