Post 6-What next?

How has this internship influenced your (near) future school, career, or life plans?

This experience of teaching and meeting the wonderful people part of my program has influenced my life plans in the future to really gear up to apply for PhD and terminal masters program in my field of study-psychology. Talking with inspiration women like Rachna, the director of ANKURI’s summer school (among many other fantastic titles), and Mohini, a fellow intern who was in charge of running the program smoothly while Rachna was away-has greatly impacted me and motivated to chase after my dreams on the doctorate level. I knew before this program that I would be applying to PhD programs-however the field of research I was pretty flexible on. After speaking with these women, I narrowed my research topic and gained more confidence in myself to apply to the absolute best programs with research in brain development in adolescents and behavior of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

What guided me to make this decision was the praise I received from these women about my interactions with children. They supported me and gave me insight at my strengths with working with children as well as gave me opportunities to talk about what my goals in life are. I have plans to return to India to expand on the work that is already taking place in ANKURI in addition to returning to see my indian friends and family.

Julia H

Utilizing a multi-faceted approach to village development, the Agency for Non Konventional Urban Rural Initiatives (ANKURI) empowers rural women through income generation, alleviation of poverty and promotion of health, education and the full participation of women and children in Uttrakhand society.

One thought on “Post 6-What next?

Julia, it’s great that you were able to achieve some clarity on your future goals, and to connect deeply with other women who helped to guide and mentor you in this way. Safe travels home!