The Aftershow | #4

The event that I helped plan at our most important client’s site in Singapore just wrapped up last Friday. Our client, Yamazaki Mazak, builds machines that create other machines which create everything we use in our day to day life. As a result, many of Mazak’s clients are industrial companies with large factories. Because of their large factory size and high energy consumption, they make perfect clients for my company, Cleantech Solar, to install solar plants on their factory roofs. In essence, Mazak’s customers are our potential customers. All the pressure, all the buildup would be over after event was over… or so I thought.

At the event, I along with two other members of the business team talked to the representatives of hundreds of companies. After the four-day event was over we each collected a small stack of cards. All of these were of potential interest to us, but the actual process of determining just how “interesting” they were fell on me. I was given all the business cards we collected. And I was amazed by how the work multiplied. The cards all represented different companies, these companies each had about two subsidiaries, then each of these sites had four or so factories. I ran calculations how much power rooftop solar plants would generate on all of these factories. Based on the data, I assigned different people in the business development team how important it was to follow up. The obstacle here was underestimating the amount of work that needs to be done, but I solved this by developing a logical system and broke my work down into “buckets.” If the buckets are mutually exclusive, I won’t repeat any work and if they are collectively exhaustive, I will have properly finished the job.

One of my most memorable food memories/drink memories was trying dragon fruit. The fruit itself looked really exotic, so I wanted to try it. But the vendor wasn’t selling just the fruit alone, only the juice. Excited, I bought the juice while the other intern I was with bought sugar cane juice. Sadly, it was very disappointing. It’s not even that there was a lack of flavor. The sensation left your mouth feeling “dry,” the opposite feeling you would want when the temperature is in the 90s. I added a picture of a dragon fruit to the post.

My favorite experience was definitely running the Mazak event. Since this was project-based work, the results of my work were tangible and rewarding to see happen. Some of the things I did were getting a huge banner hung on the factory wall and setting up the booth at the event.