7,950 Miles Outside of My Comfort Zone | #1

Hi there fellow interns!

My name is Brianna Osofisan and I’m a rising sophomore at UMich. I am currently living in New Delhi, India for my six-week internship with the Institute for Global Development (iGD). iGD is a primary healthcare NGO focused on providing basic health services to underserved urban and rural communities in India. So, you might be wondering what this means in a practical sense. Well, so was I until about ten days ago, when I first started my field work.

Through its partnership with DLF, a real estate company, iGD has set up several Primary Health Centers (PHCs) in multiple states of India. These states include Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan, and Punjab. Each PHC serves the local village in that area. A local team of five members, including: a physician, lab technician, pharmacist, accountant, and receptionist operates each PHC. Usually, the team will work from 9 AM to 1 PM serving one village, and then move to the next nearby village and work there from 2 PM to 4 PM. The services provided at each PHC are the same, ranging from pregnancy tests to blood tests.

My role as an intern is to observe the clinical services, register patients, and give presentations to the village residents about practicing healthy habits. As an aspiring physician, I am thoroughly enjoying this hands-on experience. It has been very eye-opening to see the differences between healthcare in the United States vs. India. We are so privileged in the U.S. to, for the most part, have easy access to safe, effective healthcare. Here in India, access is limited and often unaffordable for many people. Although it’s not perfect, I have a newfound appreciation for the health system in the United States.

Speaking of newfound appreciations, I have also gained one for taking chances. If you would have told me a year ago that I’d be spending the summer after my freshman year of college interning in India, I would have called you crazy. I wouldn’t necessarily consider myself the adventurous type, so this endeavor has been a step wayyy outside of my comfort zone – about 7,950 miles to be exact. However, I’m finding everything about this experience to be extremely rewarding. Despite the chaos that is New Delhi, there is also so much beauty to it. From the culture, to the people, to the architecture; India is unlike any place I’ve ever been to.

Already, I’m seeing how fast my time in India is flying by. With one month left in this big, beautiful country, my goal is to soak up as much of the culture, food (chapati, anyone?), stories, and knowledge that I encounter. And I wish you all the same of your amazing experiences!

Happy interning,

Brianna

Bonus fact: iGD has a mobile medicare unit.

This is me working on it with Dr. P.K. Goswami.