Blog #1: Goals

When I first started writing this, I thought back to when I was sitting down at the pre-internship meeting and being asked what were my goals. My thoughts immediately jumped to: an expanded skill set and making connections. It was pretty simple back then and that was standard for most freshmen doing internships. But now that I’ve dived into the rigors of work, it’s actually more about learning another perspective. I work in private equity start up based out of Portland, which concentrates on acquiring or buying equity in small to medium sized businesses. It’s a clichéd thing to say, but I actually learn something new everyday. Over time it has started to shape my perspective on how I viewed what was happening in the corporate world and that insight has been more valuable to me than just making the connections and learning new skills.

All of the professional goals aside, I also have a couple of personal goals. I want to explore the city of Portland which is breathtakingly beautiful and nothing like I’ve ever seen before. And as I’m a big foodie, I definitely want to cover all of the best places there are to eat at! These goals may change over time, but I’m looking forward to the next few months as an intern!