Halfway Check Point | #7

I’ve been in Japan at Moriumius for a month now and it’s only the halfway point! It’s crazy to think about how the time has just flown by but I still have so long to go. Fittingly, this is the halfway point for summer programming at work too; the past month has been mostly small groups but after this week it’s large groups for the rest of my time. This week we didn’t have any guests – a calm before the storm. It’s a good time to reflect on my time here so far before I hardly have time to think.

Things that I’ve accomplished so far:

• Achieved competency in my work tasks

Tea party for the locals to go through old year books (and eat pancakes)
  • Established a good rapport with my coworkers (They are all wonderful people and I am so thankful for each and every one of them)
  • Increased language skills (not as much as I would have liked by this point, but I’m still trying)
  • Tried many new foods
  • Visited new cities/attractions/places/festivals ~ e.g. I’ve done a lot of cool things
  • Strengthened my work ethic
  • collaborated on an art project with my fellow interns/coworkers/artist in residence

Things I still have to accomplish/work on:

• Continue learning the language/customs
  • Try/do more new things
  • Continue strengthening my work skills
  • Welcome the new interns and help them settle in
  • Take time to appreciate the time I have left
  • Plan for my travel after my internship
  • Go down the giant slide
  • Actually use the postcards I bought

My final thought is that I have always had this weird sense of nostalgia for future remembering… if that makes sense. I already feel bittersweet about leaving and looking back on my time here even though I still have a month to go. Making the most of my time here has always been my priority and it will continue to be until the day I leave. So many things have happened already and I have changed so much. But one thing that hasn’t changed is the amount of awe I feel waking up everyday and realizing what an amazing adventure I am on.

Taking a break from work to visit a lighthouse

One thought on “Halfway Check Point | #7

I applaud your halfway point reflection, Julianna! It’s a great way to reflect on what you’ve done, but you’re still able to set goals for what you would like to do for the remainder of your time. The end can definitely be bittersweet, but like you said, you’re making the best of every minute and you still have more time. You can also always come back 🙂