5. I learned how to swim!

This weekend, we did a short weekend trip to Krk, an island off the coast of Croatia. I was prepared to just sit around the beach and flop around the shallow shore because I cant’ swim. But I pushed myself to try new things while I was there!

When I went to Budapest a few weeks ago, I finally got over my distrust of water and learned how to float. So I decided to take it to the next step in Krk’s saltwater beaches. I floated around the shallow water, but the taste of the saltwater was overwhelming for me – it even made my nose run a lot, which was really weird for me. And then I lightly stepped on (a few?) sea urchins, so I felt even more fearful of the water than before. But thanks to the harsh coaching from Lisi and Paula, I finally got the courage to float and tread water in really deep water where I couldn’t touch the bottom. I was terrified, excited, and hysterical at the same time – this picture accurately captures my victory:

Sounds underwhelming to most people because a lot people think swimming is so natural like riding a bike. But I rarely went in pools/lakes when I was a child, so I didn’t get to learn at a young age like others did. I’m really proud of myself for making up for lost time, and now I’m happy that I can enjoy the water so much!

One thought on “5. I learned how to swim!

Congratulations! You really pushed yourself out of your comfort zone and you accomplished something amazing 🙂