Blog #2 Buenos Aires

What an exciting 2 weeks in Buenos Aires! My first week was largely spent settling down into my routine, and this past week was more focused on exploring. I visited more neighborhoods in Buenos Aires, and have even made plans to embark on a larger trip to Iguazu falls with my American friends. I feel increasingly comfortable in this city, and really do feel like it is becoming my home. I’m so glad that I am here for 2 more months.

Other than exploring, I have been learning interesting things at my internship. I am working for an environmental health NGO and have been doing research on the Río Riachuelo, one of the most polluted waterways in the world, located right in Buenos Aires. This past Sunday my boss and I went on a site visit to the river, talked with people who live close to the river, and collected samples. My boss’ research focuses on how toxicity affects human health, and one easy way to measure that is by collecting amphibian embryos, such as the embryos of frogs or salamanders. These embryos absorb toxins from their environment, so they provide an excellent indicator of what sort of toxins are present on the riverbanks and in the water. I have learned so much in so little time.

One thought on “Blog #2 Buenos Aires

I’m glad you’re learning a lot from your internship but also was able to explore some of Buenos Aires! Do you have any pictures?