Learning About My Future | #3

This internship has inspired a lot of thought about my aspirations. I’m surrounded by people who are in the position that I am currently in, and even more importantly, people who are in the position I hope to be. For the longest time, I’ve wanted to be a professor of psychology. Being able to talk about this career trajectory with my graduate student advisor has been unbelievably helpful. I hope to be in the exact same position as him in the next few years, and being able to ask him questions about that process has been great. Because I’m graduating early, he’s helped me come to the conclusion that I will be taking a year in-between undergraduate and graduate school. I’ve been debating this for a while, but I’ve finally made a decision. This will allow me lots of time to focus explicitly on my applications, as well as time to do my own research and get more experience in the field. This experience and hearing from him has surely solidified my interest in academia.
That being said, my interest in certain realms and approaches to psychology has definitely changed. I have learned that although I am still interested in psychology, the general social psychology approach (i.e. the research I am currently doing) is not exactly what I hope to do. I think that I am more interested in cognitive psychology. I think this was extremely important for me, for when I do begin applications, a major portion of them is with who and what would I like to study. I don’t think I would have came to this conclusion without this experience, and I’m truly grateful