Reflection #5

These past weeks have flown by and I am still in disbelief that the internship is coming to a close. Not only have my weeks at this internship been extremely rewarding, it has really opened my eyes to new possibilities in my future. When I first started my freshman year, I was dead set on following the pre-med route. However, my internship has shown me that there is a lot more out there for me to explore. There are countless opportunities in the scientific field to help people and medical school is not the only path. Research is very different from practicing medicine, and yet, I have acquired a deep appreciation for it.

Although I have learned a great deal during my time in the Carey lab, there are numerous things I still have to discover and learn, both academically and personally. I definitely plan on continuing research in the Carey lab when the school year starts again in the fall. If possible, I hope to devise my own research proposal for an individual project. I have no regrets about completing this internship and I am extremely grateful for this opportunity, which was made possible by the LSA Internship Scholarship and the mentorship provided by the Carey lab.

2 thoughts on “Reflection #5

That’s awesome that your internship made you rethink your path. It’s also great that you can continue to do this during the school year. Thanks for a great read!

I’m really glad that your internship has inspired you to pursue research on your own! The University has a lot of great research opportunities so I’m sure you’ll do something great.