Je t’aime, Paris! | #1

A company called Sage Corps works to send university students all over the world to work with tech start-up companies as interns. At first I was skeptical of the situation, because the company, Sage Corps, looked like a start-up company itself. But as time passed and I wasn’t receiving the internships that I wished to obtain, I finally said yes.

Until just a few weeks ago, I had never traveled outside of North America, and now, today, I am living in Paris! Not only have I studied french for 10 years, but I am a midwestern girl who adores bread and cheese. This was the place for me!

Bread & cheese, every corner. A midwestern girl’s dream!

As for my internship, the company was suppose to pair me with a start-up weeks before departure where I would work in sales. I was not paired with my company until the day I landed in Paris. Quite the risk.

I now work for a company called Jellynote as a Community Management and Sales Intern. I hope this internship prepares me for a future in medical device sales, but after just the first few days, I am not so confident that it will. I really hoped to learn more about face-to-face sales–selling a product to customers or businesses in-person–but Jellynote only offers subscriptions, so my work is done entirely online. One of the problems was that no one told me you need to be fluent in french to acquire the internship that I desired. This is disappointing, but the reality of the situation.

The conclusion I have come to is that I am going to use this internship to build my understanding of business development rather than sales. At least I’m in Paris?

When you work in a beautiful Parisian apartment, on a couch; how could you be mad?