Blog #1 Land, Land, Land

Hello my fellow LSA interns, hope you are all currently enjoying your internships abroad or at home. This summer I am interning at Darlene Y. S. Chun Realty in Honolulu, HI (where I’m from). Coming in to this internship, I was a bit unprepared – I was planning becoming a Political Science major, and despite growing up here, I was never interested in the real estate market. But nowadays the real estate-politician connection is so prevalent that it is becoming more and more fashionable for a Political Science major to be thinking about going into real estate. Another reason that I wanted this internship was the chance to improve my social and networking skills. The skills that are involved in real estate, negotiation, analytical, pragmatism, are all valuable skills that could be used in everyday lives. And what better investment is there on Earth than, Earth?

So far my internship has been a valuable learning experience for me. I was able to witness, from open house to renovating old houses to negotiating a deal with other agents, what make a business transition more agreeable and profitable. What to focus on and what to ignore. When to give in, and when to refute an unreasonable request. Things are looking up, and I am looking forward to sharing my experiences the next time.

One thought on “Blog #1 Land, Land, Land

Can’t wait to hear how your internship in Hawaii (I’m very jealous) goes! I’m also a political science major working in an industry about homeownership (mortgages) so I can’t wait to keep reading about the connection between those two fields!