Discovering my identity at work | #3

Working at PR Consulting in New York City I have met people from all different parts of the world and learned about lots of different cultures and how they have come together for a common goal and love of public relations and fashion. Working in an environment with so many different cultures I have become to learn a lot about how my culture is unique and how it fits into the melting pot of cultures at work. In a workplace with 15 interns working in the fashion side of the office, I am one of two interns from CT, the only one at the University of Michigan, and the only jewish intern. I grew up in a town where everyone was very similar so I never saw my upbringing or culture as unique, but at work I become unique. Suddenly, being jewish is a topic of interest, as well as growing up in suburban CT and flying out to the midwest for school each semester. I never thought as my culture as being unique, but now I am learning that to people from different parts of the country (and the world) that it is unique as soon as I left my home community.